We are situated in Kandouni beach of the area Panormos of Kalymnos Island. Kantouni is a long sandy beach preferred by locals because of its easy access, clean water and its shady trees.
Above the beach stands the Monastery of the Cross from where you can have a panoramic view over the village and the bay that overlooks the picturesque island of Agia Kyriaki (St.Sunnday) offering one of the most spectacular sunsets to the visitor. It lies five kilometers away from the area of Potheia, the capital of Kalymnos.
The complex is right on the beach and can be used as a departure point for several beautiful beaches that are near by. Access is possible either by bus or taxi.
Kalymnos, is “the island of sponge divers”. It is the fourth largest island in the Dodecanese (its surface covers up to 107 square kilometers) and it is situated between Kos and Leros and it is surrounded by several small islands. The island is mostly mountainous and has two small valleys full of tangerine, orange and many herbs such as thyme, sage and oregano to which Kalymnos owes its exceptional flavor of honey.
The spectacular rocky sides of the island is ideal for mountain trekking and especially climbing. For this reason, Kalymnos is famous as a paradise for climbers, whereas its crystal clear waters and rich seabed offer exciting adventures for lovers of diving and fishing. It is believed that Kalymnos was inhabited during Neolithic era. Its first inhabitants were probably the Karians who came from Karia of M. Asia (now Turkey), later followed by the Cretans around 1100 bc. After the Cretans the Dorians followed and built a settlement named Argos.
In the 5th century B.C., Artemisia, the queen of Alikarnasos, in alliance with the Persians conquered the island. During the Persian wars, Kalymnos took part in the Athens’ Alliance and stabilized its relations with the neighbouring island of Kos. Later, it was conquered by the Romans and at the end if the 13th century A.C. by the Genoese, who conquered all the Dodecanese islands. At that time, the castle of the village, known as Pera Kastro, was built. The Knights of Saint John ruled the island from 1306 to 1522. When the Othomans attacked them violently they withdrew in Rhodes where they tried to resist the enemy for the last time without success.
The Othoman domination lasted approximately 400 years, until 1912 when the italians attemped to take over Kalymnos and the other Dodecanese islands. Finally the island was united to the newly-built Greek state in 1948 after the Axis’ military forces had been defeated during the 2nd World War.
© 2021 studios Koletti ~ liogerma // all rights reserved // developed by tetris informatics